SEOUL: After some three years and four months, it’s finally over.
Korean pop-trio JYJ‘s management agency C-Jes Entertainment announced Wednesday that JYJ has resolved its differences with SM Entertainment, and that both parties have dropped all lawsuits against one another, reported Korean media.
JYJ and SM Entertainment have also signed an agreement which recognised that JYJ’s previous employment contract with SM Entertainment ceased to be in effect on July 31, 2009, and states that both parties will not interfere in each other’s activities from now on.
Formed in 2010, JYJ’s members Kim Jae Joong, Park Yu Chun and Kim Jun Su (all former members of SM Entertainment’s boy band TVXQ) had previously taken SM Entertainment to court on July 31, 2009 over allegedly unfair contracts that bound them for 13 years and penalized them heavily if they wanted out of their contract.
What followed was years of legal wrangling between JYJ and SM Entertainment.
But all that is now history.
A spokesperson for SM Entertainment told Korean media on Wednesday that the Korean entertainment giant no longer wished to hold JYJ to their earlier contracts, since they have no intention of performing under the TVXQ moniker.
He added that breaking the legal stalemate was the best solution as it allows TVXQ’s remaining members Jung Yunho and Shim Changmin to conduct their activities without any further complications.
Baek Chang Joo, CEO of JYJ’s management agency C-Jes Entertainment, claimed that the trio’s victory was assured since the very beginning of the legal saga, and thanked fans for their support.
Baek said he hoped the agreement would also mean the lifting of the restrictions which were placed on JYJ by various Korean media outlets, possibly due to SM Entertainment’s massive influence in the industry.
Shared by: iXiahCassie